Michael Miller has written more than 80 non-fiction how-to books over the past two decades, including Que’s Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Computer Basics, Easy Computer Basics, Your First Notebook PC, Wireless Networking with Microsoft Windows Vista, and How Microsoft Windows Vista Works. Mr. Miller has established a reputation for clearly explaining technical topics to non-technical readers and for offering useful real-world advice about complicated topics. More information can be found at the author’s website, located at www.molehillgroup.com.
Speed It Up! A Non-Technical Guide for Speeding Up Slow Computers
Does your PC perform like grandma on a cold winter morning? Does it limp along slowly through everyday tasks, such as starting up, shutting down or just opening an email? Are you wondering if your PC’s get up and go has got up and left? If you answered yes to any of these questions, this is the book for you.
Sure, there are uber-geeky guides out there that provide tweaks and customizations appealing to the pocket protector nation, but there is no other book that addresses these common problems at the everyday consumer level. We think it’s time for a book that covers all of these topics in a way that appeals to real humans, like you. Let us help you keep your PC running like it did the day you brought it home from the store.
• Troubleshooting–We show you how to diagnose the cause of your PC’s dawdling behavior. We help you determine whether the culprit is your hardware, software, the network, a cluttered registry, or even a virus.
• Software–We show you dozens of easy, non-techy things you can do to speed up Windows, your applications, your Internet apps, and more.
• Hardware–We show you easy upgrades you can do yourself. The solutions we provide are easy to implement.
• Network–We show you how to easily fix network issues that are robbing you of precious time.
• Buyer’s advice–If it’s time to put your beloved PC out to pasture, we offer some tried and true advice for choosing a new PC and keeping it in tip-top condition.
CATEGORY: Windows Operating Systems
COVERS: Windows XP, Windows Vista
USER LEVEL: Beginning-Intermediate
Pt. I Quick Diagnosis for Sluggish PCs
1 What's Slowing Down Your Computer? 9
2 Before You Start: Protect Your Data 25
Pt. II Simple Speedups Anyone Can Do
3 Removing Spyware and Viruses 41
4 Cleaning Out Unnecessary Programs 63
5 Optimizing Your Hard Disk 87
6 Making Windows Go Faster 97
Pt. III Power Speedups for Power Users
7 Cleaning Up the Windows Registry 123
8 When All Else Fails: Reinstalling Windows from Scratch 135
Pt. IV Upgrading Your PC for Speed
9 Preparing for a Computer Upgrade 157
10 Adding More Memory 165
11 Adding More Disk Space 183
12 Upgrading to a Faster Video Card 201
13 Upgrading Your System's CPU 211
Pt. V Internet and Network Speedups
14 Cleaning Up Your Web Browser 225
15 Reconfiguring Your Internet Connection 243
16 Speeding Up Your Home Network 251
Pt. VI The Ultimate Speedup: Buying a Faster PC
17 When Do You Need a New PC? 267
18 How Fast a PC Do You Need? 275
Internet Speedup and Browser Optimization 297
Startup Program Databases 297
Internet Speed Tests 297
Free DNS Services 298